Mango Sticky Rice (or Thai sticky rice with mango)

When we were walking around Asia in 2015, we enjoyed eating so many different things. We were happy trying fermented eggs, snakes, insects. The truth is that sometimes we went crazy, but that's how we are. The point is that I was happy, but after several days, Jorge tells me: what is not common here is that there is almost no culture of desserts. I had not realized it because I have never had a very sweet tooth, and since I was a child I got used to the fruits that my potatoes served at the end of meals. But Jorge, since his favorite foods are sweets, after several days he needed to indulge himself with some. We began to realize that the offer of sweets was very limited on the menus, and in fact, they used to be many western desserts such as tiramisu, or a chocolate cake.

So we started our adventure of finding very Asian options and it was indeed a very difficult task. However, there was one that is like the protagonist of the Thai sweet room: the mango sticky rice.


The mango sticky rice, which its translation into Spanish with Colombian slang would be nothing more than a mascot does rice with mango, was our sweet companion through Thai cities and beaches, and where we went and tasted it was delicious. It was long after that we discovered that the simplicity in the preparation of this dessert made it possible to enjoy it in many different places. The art of this dessert lies in the preparation of the rice, while in this side of the world we worry that the rice is loose for the Thais, it is necessary that the rice be sticky for the recipe to work. The first time we tried it at home, we realized that the jasmine rice, nor the basmati was the one they used, but one that is called "glutinous" (glutinous), which can already be bought in Bogotá. We import about 5 kilograms and we have been consuming it for more than two years.

You may also be interested to know about the following recipe khao neeo mamuang 





But since it is a reality that it is not easy rice to find on this side of the world, today in the blog we teach you how to prepare it in the Thai way and also using a substitute. Enjoy it!

The mango sticky rice recipe

Ingredients:

1 pound or 500 grams of glutinous rice

3 cups of coconut milk

1 tsp (teaspoon) of salt

5 to 6 tbsp (tablespoons) brown sugar

2 large ripe mangoes


What do I do?

Thai method 1 with glutinous rice:

1 When I want the rice to be the Thai way, of course, I use glutinous rice and this Thai steamer, which consists of a wicker cone with a giant metal pot. This item is obtained through amazon.

2 I soak the rice for three or four hours and then proceed to wash it two or three times.

3 I remove the water from the rice and wrap it in a piece of white cloth (usually brought by the Thai steamer),

and I put it in the wicker cone.

I fill the pot with water about half or a little more than the pot and put it to cook over medium heat with the wicker basket placed on top. Once the water boils, the rice begins to cook.

I leave it for 35 to 40 minutes, or until you see that the rice changes color like beige or bone. Sometimes I prefer to leave it for 35 minutes to make sure the grain is not raw.

4 I turn off the heat and let it cool down, transfer to a bowl.

Method 2 with regular rice:

1 Although there is no true substitute for glutinous rice, it is recommended that you use short-grain rice that is more likely to stick. Use two cups of rice.

2 You do not need to soak it or wash it. What I do is I take the rice and put it in a pot and put water until it covers it only slightly above the level of the rice, about an inch more.

3 I add half a teaspoon of salt and heat the pot over high heat until the water boils and then lower it. I cover the pot and let it cook for 12 minutes without moving it. I check if the water has been consumed, and if so with a fork I make a hole in the center and let it cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. I turn off the heat and take out the rice and put it in a bowl to wait for it to cool.

4 In these two pages they help me a lot to have alternatives on how to make sticky rice, but they are in English:

Finally, how do I finish making the mango sticky rice once I have the rice done:

1 In a small pot I put 1/2 cup of coconut milk over low heat to cook for 40-60 seconds so that it evaporates a little and is creamy. I turn off and reserve. This becomes my topping.

2 In another larger pot I put the rest of the coconut milk (2 and a half cups) to cook over low heat, and when it is hot, I add the sugar and salt and mix until it dissolves.


3 Once the ingredients are dissolved, I add the rice with the stove on until it absorbs the cream of the coconut milk and turns it off. I cover the pot with a cloth or lid and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.

4 I chop several slices or pieces of mango and on a plate, I serve the rice accompanied by the fruit!


5 I spread the coconut milk topping on top and can garnish with flowers or crushed peanut pieces.

It's a delicious dessert! If you like sweet then use 6 or 7 tablespoons of sugar!

Comments